James Galen Clark
I am a CG Generalist with a focus in Modeling, Texturing, Lookdev and Lighting. I also dabble in compositing and am interested in expanding my knowledge of matte painting, compositing, rigging and cloth simulation.
I enjoy working in studios that specialize in vfx and/or animation; where I can utilize my current skills and have an opportunity to grow and strengthen my talents as a generalist, or within a specific discipline.
Nov. 2016-Present Generlist TD, Double Negative, Vancouver BC
· Currently working as a Generalist TD, with a primary focus on lighting and scene build related troubleshooting in Houdini.
· Other duties include modeling and texturing of environment assets in Maya and Mari; lookdev of assets and lighting scenes in Houdini; and slap-comps in Nuke.
April 2015-Nov. 2016 CG Artist, Pixomondo, Stuttgart Germany
· Worked as a CG Generalist on several high profile films and tv shows and was a lead on a product visualization rendering project.
· Duties included modeling, texturing and lookdev on characters/digital doubles and props; modeling, texturing, lookdev and lighting on environments. Worked from scans, concepts and/or photo reference.
· Primary software packages were 3DS Max and VRay; secondary tools included Maya, ZBrush and Mari.
April 2014-April 2015 CG Artist, Mixamo, San Francisco Ca.
· Modeling and texturing assets for Mixamo Fuse.
March 2014-April 2014 CG Artist, Origin Digital Studios, Burbank Ca.
· Modeling, texturing, layout and lighting for Fox’s “Hieroglyph.”
March 2014-Present CG Artist, Roblox, San Mateo Ca.
· Modeling and texturing game assets.
July 2012-Feb. 2016 CG Artist, Original Stitch, San Francisco Ca.
· Create models and renders of customizable dress shirts for online retailer, OriginalStitch.com.
· Began the project in 2012 as the sole CG artist for the site and later brought on a Technical Artist to assist with processing of the 3D renders in Nuke for our updated pipeline in 2013.
· Currently in charge of modeling, texturing, production and supervision of the project.
Aug. 2012-May 2013 Resource Assistant, Industrial Light & Magic, San Francisco Ca.
· Monitored studio’s data storage space.
· Handled input, output and tracking of all production data.
· Communicated directly with production, supervisors, artists and IT to provide technical support for each production.
Mar. 2012-July 2012 Desktop Support, Atomic Fiction, Emeryville Ca.
· Provide support for both Mac OS and Windows platforms.
· Assist with testing new software/techniques, network and email administration, hardware installation, troubleshooting, software licensing, imaging machines, and systems development.
April 2011-Aug. 2011 Technical Administrator, Spy Post, San Francisco Ca.
· I handled a variety of tasks including 3D modeling, data I/O, and production support.
Jan. 2011-April 2011 Render Wrangler/IT Assistant, Whiskytree, San Rafael Ca.
· Monitored render farm activity for “Thor.”
· Handled various IT tasks from building computers and imaging hard drives to setting up user accounts and network settings.
Jan. 2010 Data I/O Coordinator, CafeFX, Santa Maria Ca.
· Assisted with coordination, asset tracking and data transfer between CafeFX and Sony Pictures Imageworks on “Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.”
· Personally responsible for tracking a complicated set of elements that were rendered at CafeFX Santa Maria and composited at CafeFX Santa Monica.
Dec. 2008-Feb. 2009 Render Wrangler, CafeFX, Santa Maria Ca.
· Monitored render farm for the feature films, “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra” and “Final Destination 4 3D.”
· Communicated with IT, artists, programmers, producers and coordinators about render farm activity.
Feb. 2008-June 2008 Render Wrangler, CafeFX, Santa Maria Ca.
· Monitored render farm activity for the John Woo epic, “Red Cliff.”
· Designed a render tracking system to survey important jobs and record daily render farm activity in Excel.
Oct. 2007-Dec. 2007 Matte Painting Intern, Photon VFX, Queensland Australia
· Positioned backgrounds in scenes for the BBC animated series, “Animalia.”
· Checked completed renders for missing and incomplete frames.
2012 Coursework, City College of San Francisco,
Coursework in Unix and Linux.
2009-2011 MFA, Academy of Art University, 3D Modeling
Studied concepting, 3D modeling, texturing, lighting, shading and digital painting.
2006-2007 Coursework, West Valley College,
Coursework in Computer Art and Computer Animation.
2001-2006 BA, University of California Los Angeles, Fine Art
Studied a variety of Fine Art media including drawing, painting, photography and new genres. Primary focus was 3-dimensional ceramics and sculpture.
Intermediate · Maya · 3DS Max · Houdini (lighting) · Modo · VRay · Zbrush · Marvelous Designer · Mari · Photoshop · Illustrator
Beginner · Nuke · After Effects · Final Cut
PLATFORMS AND SCRIPTING:
Intermediate · Linux/Unix · Mac OS · Windows
Beginner · Shell Scripting · MEL · Python
· Strong leadership and teamwork skills · Follows directions well · Fast learner
· Creative problem solver · Passionate work ethic · Excellent communicator
HONORS AND AWARDS:
VFX Club President, Academy of Art University 2010-2011